When can a bridge be used?
- When just one or two teeth are missing
- When the neighbouring teeth are strong enough to support it
- When the gums are healthy
- When the extraction site is fully healed (3-6 months)
A bridge may be a good solution when neighbouring teeth already have crowns or large fillings
Advantages of a bridge
- Alternative to a denture
- look and feel like natural teeth
- They function like natural teeth
- No surgery is required (as with implants)
- They are cheaper than implants
What are bridges made of?
Bridges are usually made of porcelain bonded to precious metal, and it is now possible to make them from porcelain alone where aesthetics is of primary importance or where the edges may show.